- 23-Jan-2017 to 30-Jun-2017 (MST)
- Oakland or Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature - to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center is currently looking for a full-time Media Specialist for our Climate Law Institute. This position is located in Oakland or Los Angeles, California.
General position overview:
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a dynamic, experienced, creative and media-savvy communicator for our work to fight climate change. The Center is a leading national voice in the climate movement. Our highly motivated Climate Law Institute team uses cutting-edge legal, scientific and organizing strategies to tackle the climate crisis, including at the national and international levels and in California, where we've become a major force in shaping the politics and policies surrounding fracking and other controversial oil and gas extraction techniques.
The Media Specialist will produce high-impact communications on every platform aimed at addressing these issues, including generating media stories, op-eds, editorials and creative media products that drive the national discussion about the climate crisis. This is a dynamic, high-level position that works closely with members of the media and Center scientists and legal experts, occasionally acts as a spokesperson, and drives communications strategies on a daily basis.
- Lead and execute communication strategies that produce high-impact media stories.
- Write compelling press releases, white papers, story pitches, blog posts, fact sheets, op-eds, reports and other material.
- Heighten public knowledge of the threats of the climate crisis and highlight important solutions, especially protective actions needed by local, state and federal regulators.
- Work closely with communications and Climate team staff to develop and execute long-term and near-term strategic communications plans.
- Manage, plan and help execute rapid response to breaking news.
- Organize and execute editorial drives.
- Track national and international news on the climate crisis and fossil fuel development and seek out strategic ways to become part of the news cycle.
- Cultivate media relationships, pitch stories to reporters and editorial writers, and continually seek out new media opportunities.
- Act as a public spokesperson as needed.
- Provide media training to Climate staff, including scientists and legal experts, on conducting interviews, maintaining good media relations and media strategies.
- Integrate climate-related materials into other Center communications.
- Periodically read, research and synthesize scientific, regulatory and legal material for lay audiences.
- Expand and refine the Center's existing communications materials, including the website and regular publications.
- Occasionally provide educational and persuasive outreach to members of Congress and other decision makers.
- Assist with outreach to the Center's 1.1 million supporters and activists.
- Identify and act on opportunities, especially in the media, to drive and influence the nationwide discussion of the climate crisis.
This position reports directly to the communications director and works closely with the deputy communications director, climate program director, climate staff and communications staff.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- A proven ability to produce clear, concise, persuasive and powerful writing on tight deadlines.
- Seasoned news judgment and a solid understanding of what constitutes a compelling media narrative.
- Exceptional writing, editing and verbal skills.
- A deep working knowledge of climate issues and politics.
- An understanding of media cycles and the ability to consistently work with them.
- An interest in and aptitude for helping scientists and legal experts communicate with lay audiences about solutions to the climate crisis.
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- The ability to juggle multiple projects and multiple deadlines.
- The ability to communicate in different styles depending on the forum, product and audience.
- A strategic mindset that grasps short-term and long-term media opportunities and an ability to uitlize those opportunities.
- The ability to research, synthesize and translate complex scientific, legal and regulatory concepts for a lay audience.
- A penchant for innovative approaches to reaching new audiences.
- A character typical of a confident self-starter who also works well in a team environment.
- A passion for tackling the climate crisis and saving the planet.
- A bachelor's degree.
- Five to 10 years of experience as a professional communicator, including in journalism or advocacy work.
- A proven track record as a working journalist or in strategic or advocacy communications work.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and comparable to that of other nonprofits.
- Paid generous medical, dental and vision plan.
- Paid STD and LTD.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Generous time off policies.
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code.
Please apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter and resume. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.